Quarterly Chapter Meeting Minutes — Saturday, April 5, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 1:07pm.
Forty-one people were in attendance today. Both members and guests attended.
Raymond Neeley gave a short speech on his background and the Applegate Motel.
Officers, Staff, and Committee Reports
- State Director Bob Dieterich
- The Annual Conference is in Tooele, Utah. There is a list of hotels online at the LHA webpage.
- The Iowa Director, Jeff Lafollette, has resigned.
- Paula Reynolds from New Jersey has also resigned. John Hallanan has taken her place.
He has been a member of the Lincoln Highway Association for a long time.
- The board has approved giving someone who has driven the Lincoln Highway all the way across the country an award. There is an application form to fill out and in return the person(s) will receive a certificate and a lapel pin. It is retroactive. There will be an article about this in the next Forum.
- The Ophir Road Monument is now in place with much thanks to the Placer County Water Agency.
- President Paul Gilger
- Maps are constantly being updated.
- California cruises: There will be one car cruise on May 3, 2014 going from Sacramento to San Francisco via the Carquinez Bridge. There are also two coach tours by Mark Hoffman. The first one is going to be on June 14, 2014. They will be going from Sacramento to Truckee. The second coach tour is going to be on September 20, 2014. They will be going from Sacramento to Livermore. There is a link on the CA Chapter Website.
- There have been quite a few speaking engagements. On March 7, 2014, Bob Chase gave a presentation to the Friends of the Auburn Library. The group was so large, there was standing room only. Bob was interviewed by a local Auburn radio station a few days prior to his talk. Bob has been asked to return to Auburn to do another talk on August 28. This time to the Auburn Historical Society. He is also in contact with the Auburn Travel Study Club and the Auburn Newcomers and Neighbors Club regarding future presentations.
- Vice-President and Membership Chairman Joel Windmiller
- 275 Membership/Reminder cards were sent. There were 3 returns.
- Both of Nathan’s markers have been planted. One is in Gold Run. The other is on the eastern side of Donner Bridge. In February there was a formal dedication for both markers. The dedication was attended by the Boy Scouts as well as members of the Lincoln Highway Association.
- Just outside of the Applegate Motel Deli, there is a Lincoln Highway Sign on a post just below the Applegate Motel sign. There is also a Lincoln Highway Sign just below the street sign next to the road. A while ago Joel, Jackie Ferreira and David Lee drove to the Applegate Motel to scout out locations for the signs. The three of them drove up at a later date to hang the signs.
- In appreciation for all of their help with Nathan’s markers, Joel presented Scott Miner and Gary Kinst with a Lincoln Highway marker patch.
- Treasurer Grant Gassman
- Grant reported the chapter account balance. Contact the chapter for details. Balance was accepted by all present.
- Secretary Jackie Ferreira
- Nothing new to report.
- Traveler Editor and Chapter Historian: Gary Kinst
- Joel did a beautiful article on the Feather River. Gary added his own photos to the article. Joel had some magnificent photos. Jimmy Lin has posted Joel’s photos on the website.
- A few weeks ago Joel and Gary spent an entire day with Jack Duncan. Jack has written two books. One is about the Central Pacific Railroad and the second is about Donner Summit. These were published by a GKM Corp in Colfax, California. Jack had a lot of information about the Lincoln Highway and towns along the way at his home that he shared. Joel and Gary were able to obtain some wonderful photos to include in the Arcadia book.
- Gary has spoken with the Livermore Heritage Guild and the Tracy Historical Society regarding what they needed to do to put together an Arcadia book.
- Gary has so much information and so many photos that he has put two books together. One is from Verdi to Sacramento and the other is from Sacramento through Dixon and Vacaville and onward. The books contain all of the towns that the Lincoln Highway would have gone through as well as many photographs. Gary has been given permission by Caltrans as well as several Historical Societies to use their photos. Gary has done as much as he can up to this point. Gary and Joel will work together to get approval from people to use their photos. Gary will forge ahead producing one book to present to Arcadia.
- Awhile back, Paul had been approached by the SIR organization in San Ramon. Gary is scheduled to speak at their meeting May 2, 2014. There will be 150 people in attendance.
- Webmaster Jimmy Lin
- Jimmy is currently in New York and Boston on business with Google. He says hello.
- Signs — Mike Kaelin
- Mike thanked Joel and Gary for supporting the signage project and in getting sponsors along the way.
- The latest signage in San Leandro has been a success. San Leandro is “plastered” with Lincoln Highway signs.
- The Altamont Pass Lincoln Highway sign has a new location. The original sign was located near the railroad underpass. The entire pole was stolen. The sign is now located a few miles away in a safer location.
- Miracle Mile in Stockton is still in the works.
- Mike is working on getting sponsors in Oakland. So far there will be one sign in Jack
London Square and one at the Oakland Hotel on 13th Street.
- 2014 Lincoln Highway Conference, Tooele, Utah
- Hotel rooms are going fast, so book as soon as you can.
- 2015 Cross Country Tour
- It will go from Detroit to San Francisco.
- The tour will stop by the Applegate Motel as the afternoon stop on Tuesday, July
- Lunch stop will be at Donner.
- The Tour Committee is suggesting that dinner be at the California Automobile Museum in Sacramento. The CA Chapter is interested in hosting the dinner. Greg Beemer and Greg Trout are going to head up the Dinner Committee. The dinner will be held on Tuesday, July 7, 2015.
The next meeting will be held Saturday, July 12, 2014 in Placerville. The meeting will be held at:
564 Main Street
Placerville, CA 95667
Meeting adjourned at 2:57 PM.
- Visited Nathan Balaguy’s marker at Gold Run.
Respectfully submitted on May 10, 2014