Quarterly Chapter Meeting Minutes — Saturday, January 6, 2018
- 23 members present.
- New members Mike and Anita Millard of Groveland discussed their days traveling the Lincoln Highway.
- Approval of October meeting minutes
- Motion to approve by Paul Gilger
- Seconded by Gary Kinst
- Minutes approved
Officer, Staff and Committee Reports
State Director: Bob Dieterich
- Bob unable to attend.
- Bob’s term is up this year. His election will be at a different time than our chapter officers.
- Paul Gilger reported the history and election of board members for the National Lincoln Highway Association.
- Discussion of Bill Von Tagen and Neil Rodrigues as possible candidates for State Director.
- The next issue of The Lincoln Highway Forum will have a page to declare as a candidate for the position of State Director.
- Bob Dietrich will let his name stand for election.
- Update on the planning of the National Conference in 2018 to be held in New Jersey. Paving bricks have been made and have not been installed as yet. The bricks are for fundraising.
President: Joel Windmiller
- Joel sent 337 reminder postcards with no returns.
Vice-President: Neil Rodrigues
- Neil is in contact with the U.S. Forest Service regarding shoring up of the Stone Arch Bridge south of Strawberry. He is searching for the right person to assist.
Treasurer: Grant Gassman
- Deposits: $330.00 from both Sports Leisure/Paul Gilger from the coach tour and $234.00 from National.
- Disbursement: $300.00 for meeting expenses.
Secretary: Myrna Johnston
- This is the last meeting for Myrna as chapter secretary.
Gary Kinst: Traveler Newsletter, Historian
- Gary’s research found a photo of the ferry slip in Oakland found at the end of Broadway.
- Gary received an email from a Tracy resident, saying that a Lincoln Highway sign had been painted over. Gary was unable to find the damaged sign. He will follow up.
- A Lincoln Highway marker was found at the Barrel Club in Vallejo. The finder is in Arizona at this time.
- Trey Pitsenberger found parts of Lincoln Highway near Placerville. He is in touch with Gary.
Webmaster: Jimmy Lin
- Jimmy was unable to attend the meeting. He noted that he is keeping the lights on at the Lincoln Highway web site. He emailed a report on the web site’s traffic for the 4th quarter of 2017; a summary is below.
Sessions YoY% Users YoY% Overall 19,916 −7% 16,015 −7% Map 13,674 −2% 11,115 −2% California 1,023 −11% 922 −7% Traveler 663 −14% 610 −10% Nevada 176 +80% 157 +80%
Sign Committee Chair: Michael Kaelin
- Next project for Kevin and Mike is Lodi. Lodi is a challenge for a variety of reasons. Kevin reports public works sent him to traffic and he has not heard back.
- Mike recognized Kevin Shawver for work in Stockton.
- Joel Windmiller recognized Mike for his work on signage and Gary Kinst for his fantastic job on the Traveler and work on the overpass in Tracy.
- Mike reported on re-routing trucks on Grant Line Road to avoid Banta.
- Mike said it’s nice to give certificates of appreciation to people outside the chapter who help with signage projects. Certificates should be presented in a public meeting.
- None since our last chapter meeting in Folsom in October.
Coach tours/car cruises: Mark Hoffman
- Paul Gilger reported that Mark is still working on an overnight tour for later this year.
Lincoln Highway California brochures — Joel
We discussed having a brochure for California similar to the one from Nevada Chapter. No action was taken. Joel will email Jim Cassler concerning the brochure project and will report the findings at the next chapter meeting.
Altamont Summit Garage clean-up
Sally Colvin Hoeprich brought a brochure from Alameda County about Adopt-A-Spot. The spot considered for cleaning is across the road from the Summit Garage. Trash may be coming from a landfill nearby. Discussion followed. No action taken. Sally will find answers to questions and concerns.
Port Stockton Motorcycle Club
Kevin Shawver reports that the Port Stockton Motorcycle Club had a successful 80th anniversary run. The club presented Kevin with a certificate of appreciation.
President, Vice President and Treasurer have agreed to continue. Only the Secretary would not continue. Discussion. A motion was made to accept this slate by Greg Beemer. Seconded by Greg Gassman. Motion passed.
Joel asked for a volunteer for Chapter Secretary. Paulette Johnston volunteered for secretary. Discussion. Joel Windmiller moved to accept Paulette Johnston as Chapter Secretary. Seconded by Neil Rodrigues. Motion passed.
Lincoln Highway documentary
Joel received email from Highway Walkers Media, which is making a documentary on the Lincoln Highway. At first, it appeared to be a request for money, but it was actually just asking for assistance with social media, history, and logistics. Discussion.
Grant for signage
Nevada has applied for a grant from national for the expense of signs. Joel asked if we want to apply for a grant from National for signage in California. Discussion. Information on a previous grant will be researched.
- Q.T. Freytag requested location of LH signs in Vacaville. There is one on Davis Street and one on School Street and the Ulatis Creek Bridge.
- There was a question regarding our involvement in the 1919 Military Convoy re-enactment on the Lincoln Highway, by the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. Discussion. At this time our chapter will not be directly involved.
- Motion to adjourn by Myrna Johnston. Seconded by Frank Squire.
- Meeting adjourned at 2:30pm.
Gary Kinst gave a PowerPoint presentation on the 11th Street Bridge in Tracy.
Myrna Johnston, Secretary
Edited by James Lin