Quarterly Chapter Meeting Minutes — Saturday, October 7, 2017
Pete’s Restaurant & Brewhouse Folsom
Meeting called to order at 1:29 pm. 27 members present.
- Alan and Misty Call, found about the Lincoln Highway at our table at Clarksville Day.
Approval of July 1, 2017 minutes
- Motion to approve by Greg Gassman
- Seconded by Grant Gassman
- Minutes approved
Officer, Staff and Committee Reports
State Director: Bob Dieterich
- Reminder about the Lincoln Highway Fun Run on October 14, 2017. Reported about 5,000 attended Clarksville Day, with good attendance at the Lincoln Highway table.
- Member Jerry Peppers put together a fundraiser to put bricks with names in front of the LH headquarters. Bob is proud to announce his name will be on the first brick. You can buy a brick with your name.
- National has a new treasurer: Paul Schubert. New brochures are available with the new address.
President: Joel Windmiller
- Sent 335 reminder cards for the meeting, with no returns.
- Joel attended the Nevada Chapter meeting. The 1928 marker will be put in the National Automobile Museum in Reno. Clean up at the LH memorial is planned.
- The Nevada chapter sponsored a successful road trip to Austin, Nevada.
- Report from Nevada Chapter regarding their brochure. Discussion to consider a California Lincoln Highway brochure.
- Joel received email from Lisa Meadows and her husband from Auburn. They wanted historical information to drive the Lincoln Highway.
Vice-President: Neil Rodrigues
- Neil could not be here today. He continues research regarding the Stone Arch Bridge repair with Forest Service.
Treasurer: Grant Gassman
- One check written to Joel for $300.00 for meeting expenses. Deposited check for $207.00.
Secretary: Myrna Johnson
- She will not continue as secretary after the January 2018 minutes are complete.
Traveler Newsletter editor and Chapter historian: Gary Kinst
- Gary could not attend today. He hopes everybody enjoyed the Fall issue of The Traveler. Nothing further to report.
Webmaster: Jimmy Lin
Jimmy was unable to attend, but submitted the following report:
- There is mixed news for the LHA website in the 3rd quarter of 2017. The number of sessions and users to the website overall is down compared to the 3rd quarter of last year: −15% for sessions, −11% for users. This is also the same for maps: −17% for sessions, −12% for users.
- The good news is that this year-over-year drop is much less than Q2. Also, Q3 traffic is actually higher than Q2 traffic, which was the first year this has happened since we started keeping track. (Before, Q2 was much higher than all other quarters.)
- More good news: traffic to the California chapter pages is up compared to this same time last year. +21% for sessions, +25% for users. The same for the Traveler: +26% for sessions, +35% for users. Good news, Gary! :) Meanwhile, Nevada traffic is flat: +1% for sessions, −3% for users.
- Facebook followers is +12% YoY, Twitter followers +7%, Google+ followers +4%.
Also, Joel announced that Jimmy got married a few months ago.
Sign Committee Chair: Michael Kaelin
- Michael is recovering from surgery. He will be back in January.
- Kevin Shawver reports the Lincoln Highway on the trading post has been replaced.
Coach tours/car cruises: Mark Hoffman
- We had a successful coach tour last week. We took the backroads through Reno, West Sacramento, Davis, Vacaville. Lunch at Pier 59. Stopped at the western terminus.
- There will be a overnight coach tour late next spring, around late May or early June. It will drive up on one alignment and back on another alignment. There will be a stay in Truckee or Carson City. Perhaps we will get the Nevada chapter involved with a speaker about the roads.
- There was a discussion regarding the old Altamont Pass summit. The area around the old gas station is an unsightly mess. Perhaps the chapter could adopt a highway and clean it up around the gas station. Sally Colvin will research the Adopt-a-Highway program.
- William Von Tagen moved to adjourn, seconded by Greg Gassman.
- Meeting adjourned at 2:35 PM.
- Paul Gilger’s slide show and report on the Northwoods Tour and his return across Canada.
Myrna Johnston, Secretary
Edited by Joel Windmiller and Jimmy Lin.