The Lincoln Monument
Photo by C.N. Plummer
The Lincoln Highway enters the state from the east on U.S. 30 at Pine Bluffs. Much of the route in Wyoming today is dirt and gravel and is impassable for much of the year. It is best to have a copy of Gregory Franzwa’s book (see For More Information below).
For a modern tour (directions assume you are going westbound):
- Take I-80 and exit at Lincolnway in Cheyenne. Rejoin I-80 at the west end of town.
- Watch for old segments of the Lincoln along the way. Be sure to stop at Tree Rock, the Lincoln Monument, and the Henry Joy Monument.
- Take the first Laramie exit, and follow the U.S. 30 signs toward Medicine Bow for the best section of the old Lincoln Highway in Wyoming.
- U.S. 30 rejoins I-80 at Walcott Junction.
- Follow Business I-80 through Sinclair and Rawlins. Rejoin I-80.
- The Henry Joy Monument was originally near Exit 184. It is now next to the Lincoln Monument.
- Business I-80 follows the 1926 alignment of the Lincoln through Rock Springs and Green River.
- Take the Bridger Valley exit to tour much of the Lincoln Highway through Lyman and Fort Bridger.
- Finally, take Business I-80 through Evanston and stop at Depot Square.
For More Information
- Lincoln Highway: Wyoming
by Gregory M. Franzwa
Published by Patrice Press, 1999.
Photos by C.N. Plummer